|View Mark Hurst's profile|
Conversations with creators and thinkers who are charting the way forward in a tech-saturated society. Tech, community, video games, and whatever else is next.
Tonight: Sheila Liming, author, "Office"
• Office, by Sheila Liming
• Twitter: @seeshespeak
• Web: sheilaliming.com and Champlain College
• Post by Aral Balkan, replying to Google's Alex Hanna: "Congratulations on the union. How you reconcile your position as 'Ethical #AI' at a company whose business model is to profile us and use that intimate insight to manipulate us for profit? How's your presence any different to that of a doctor in a cigarette ad for Big Tobacco?"
• Thread by recent guest Cory Doctorow: "There are lots of problems with ad-tech:
* being spied on all the time means that the people of the 21st century are less able to be their authentic selves;
* any data that is collected and retained will eventually breach, creating untold harms;
* data-collection enables for discriminatory business practices ("digital redlining");
* the huge, tangled hairball of adtech companies siphons lots (maybe even most) of the money that should go creators and media orgs; and
* anti-adblock demands browsers and devices that thwart their owners' wishes, a capability that can be exploited for even more nefarious purposes;
That's all terrible, but it's also IRONIC, since it appears that, in addition to everything else, ad-tech is a fraud, a bezzle. . . .
• How Much of the Internet Is Fake? Turns Out, a Lot of It, Actually (by Max Read in New York magazine, Dec 26, 2018): "The metrics are fake."
- - -
PAST EPISODES: techtonic.fm lists recent Techtonic interviews and Little Slice of Tech Pie segments.
PODCAST: Subscribe to the Techtonic podcast
|Artist||Track||Album||Images||Approx. start time|
|The past and future of the office - with Sheila Liming, author of "Office"|
|Tomaš Dvořák||Game Boy Tune|
|Interview with Sheila Liming||0:09:33 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Mark's comments||0:40:02 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Work Song from Postal Employees in Ghana||James Koetting / Worlds of Music: An Introduction to the Music of the World's Peoples||0:56:07 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|