|View Mark Hurst's profile|
Conversations with creators and thinkers who are charting the way forward in a tech-saturated society. Tech, community, video games, and whatever else is next.
Tonight: Cory Doctorow, author, "How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism"
• How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism, full text of the book by Cory Doctorow
• @doctorow (Twitter)
• Pluralistic (Cory's "old-fashioned link-blog")
• Craphound.com (Cory's homepage)
• Techtonic interview with Shoshana Zuboff, author of "The Age of Surveillance Capitalism" (May 13, 2020 show)
• Amazon wants to use delivery drones to surveil your house (Protocol, Aug 30): "In Amazon's vision of the future, drones are going to be blanketing the sky, delivering packages to us, day in, day out... Amazon envisions using the drones' cameras for home surveillance, scanning for things like broken windows and people on a property. Because who wouldn't want the company behind Ring and Rekognition to be scanning for whether you're home all the time?"
• Outtro by Matt Robertson, who explains: ""I liken the surveillance phenomenon to a huge slow moving airship that everyone can see, but because it just hovers around really slowly, after a while people become used to it and eventually ignore it or get used to its presence." Thanks to DJ Scott Williams for the pointer!
- - -
PAST EPISODES: techtonic.fm lists recent Techtonic interviews and Little Slice of Tech Pie segments.
PODCAST: Subscribe to the Techtonic podcast
|Artist||Track||Album||Images||Approx. start time|
|Cory Doctorow discusses his new book, "How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism"|
|Tomaš Dvořák||Game Boy Tune||Machinarium Soundtrack|
|Interview with Cory Doctorow||0:07:33 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Mark's comments after the interview||0:51:10 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Matt Robertson||Flight||In Echelon||0:55:48 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|