|View Mark Hurst's profile|
Conversations with creators and thinkers who are charting the way forward in a tech-saturated society. Tech, community, video games, and whatever else is next.
Today: Carolyn Chen, author, "Work Pray Code"
• Work Pray Code: When Work Becomes Religion in Silicon Valley, by Carolyn Chen
• carolynchen.org, author site, with this bio: “Carolyn Chen, a sociologist, is Associate Professor of Ethnic Studies at the University of California, Berkeley. The daughter of Taiwanese immigrants, she grew up in Pennsylvania and Southern California. Carolyn received her A.B. from Brown University, and her Ph.D. in Sociology from UC Berkeley. She previously taught at Northwestern University in the Department of Sociology, as well as in the Program in Asian American Studies, where she served as Director. Chen’s research focuses on religion, spirituality and work in the new economy, as well as Asian American religions.”
• About those kill-switched Ukrainian tractors (Cory Doctorow, May 8, 2022): “John Deere makes this claim: in its battles against the right to repair, Deere styles itself as the guardian of the world’s food supply, whose information security is all that stands between us and a Russian (or Chinese, or supervillain) shutdown of the world’s ag-tech. They’re not wrong: John Deere’s decision to build ag-tech that can be remotely controlled, disabled and updated, along with its monopolization of the world’s ag-tech market, means that anyone who compromises its system puts the world’s food-supply at risk. Which is a terrifying proposition, because John Deere has extraordinarily terrible information security. ... That means that the tool that Deere used to brick all those stolen tractors in Chechnya is potentially available to even moderately skilled hackers who exploit Deere’s reckless decision to build kill-switches into its equipment and its negligent security.”
• This Is How Much Money You Have Now if You Bought $100 of Crypto 6 Months Ago (Gizmodo, today, May 9, 2022)
• GoFundMe for DJ Bryce, who was injured in a motorbike accident last month
• Sign up to get Mark's weekly email newsletter. You can also join Mark’s Creative Good community.
PAST EPISODES: techtonic.fm lists recent Techtonic shows.
PODCAST: Subscribe to the Techtonic podcast
|Artist||Track||Album||Label||Images||Approx. start time|
|Carolyn Chen, author, "Work Pray Code: When Work Becomes Religion in Silicon Valley"|
|Tomaš Dvořák||Game Boy Tune||Machinarium Soundtrack||n/a|
|Interview with Carolyn Chen||0:04:25 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Mark's comments||0:43:21 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|DJ Cremoso||Losing My Religion Remix (Rüstico Mashup)||n/a||n/a||0:55:47 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|