|View Mark Hurst's profile|
Conversations with creators and thinkers who are charting the way forward in a tech-saturated society. Tech, community, video games, and whatever else is next.
Tonight: Frank Pasquale, author, "New Laws of Robotics"
• New Laws of Robotics: Defending Human Expertise in the Age of AI, by Frank Pasquale
• Frank Pasquale's bio at Brooklyn Law School
• Roujin Z, anime movie referenced in Frank's book (about robots and healthcare). Sorry for the toxic YouTube link.
• Frank's first appearance on Techtonic (Nov 19, 2018 show), about his book The Black Box Society - see also playlist.
• More Than a Feeling (by Frank Pasquale in Real Life magazine, Oct 19, 2020): "Emotion detection doesn't work, but it will try to change your behavior anyway. ... As affective computing is slowly adopted in health care, education, and policing, it will increasingly judge us and try to manipulate us."
• NYPD Sending Its "Creepy" Robot Dog To The Farm Upstate (by Jake Offenhartz in Gothamist, Apr 29, 2021): The NYPD has "terminated a contract with Boston Dynamics, which had been leasing the 'Digidog' to the department since last year. NYPD officials initially said the camera-equipped, 70-pound dog was 'going to save lives, protect people, and protect officers' by responding to emergencies too dangerous for police. But after video showed the dog trotting through a Manhattan public housing complex earlier this month, several lawmakers raised concerns about surveillance implications, and argued that the deployment demonstrated the NYPD's over-policing of low-income New Yorkers. 'We keep hearing the same rhetoric from Mayor de Blasio that he believes in community based policing, but I don’t see any community that’s calling for these creepy robots,' Albert Fox Cahn, the founder of the advocacy group Surveillance Technology Oversight Project (STOP), told Gothamist at the time."
• If you haven't seen it yet, find someone with a Netflix account and watch Metalhead, the Black Mirror episode (2017) about autonomous dogs.
• Listen to the Techtonic interview with Maxim Pozdorovkin (Feb 18, 2019), director of "The Truth About Killer Robots." See playlist.
As for marrying robots...
|Artist||Track||Images||Approx. start time|
|Frank Pasquale discusses his book "New Laws of Robotics." Mark recommends it highly.|
|Tomaš Dvořák||Game Boy Tune|
|Interview with Frank Pasquale||0:05:45 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Mark's comments after the interview||0:48:15 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|The Cool Greenhouse||Alexa!||0:55:22 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|