|View Mark Hurst's profile|
Conversations with creators and thinkers who are charting the way forward in a tech-saturated society. Tech, community, video games, and whatever else is next.
Today: Jonathan Crary, author, "Scorched Earth"
• Jonathan Crary bio at Columbia
• Scorched Earth: Beyond the Digital Age to a Post-Capitalist World (2022 book)
• 24/7: Late Capitalism and the Ends of Sleep (2014 book)
• Letter from the (Verso) editor about Scorched Earth: “The book insists on the inseparability of social disintegration and environmental collapse under global capitalism. Civil society and ecosystems are eroding simultaneously.”
• Review of Scorched Earth by Theory, Culture & Society: “Scorched Earth adds a much-needed critical voice to the growing discontent surrounding the usefulness of the internet and the digital technologies which penetrate ever deeper into our everyday lives.”
• We Need to Take Back Our Privacy (by Zeynep Tufekci, NYT, May 19, 2022): “Protections you think you have may not be as broad as you think. The confidentiality that federal health privacy law provides to conversations with a doctor doesn’t always apply to prescriptions. In 2020, Consumer Reports exposed that GoodRX, a popular drug discount and coupons service, was selling information on what medications people were searching or buying to Facebook, Google and other data marketing firms. GoodRX said it would stop, but there is no law against them, or any pharmacy, doing this.”
• Sign up to get Mark's weekly email newsletter. You can also join Mark’s Creative Good community.
PAST EPISODES: techtonic.fm lists recent Techtonic shows.
PODCAST: Subscribe to the Techtonic podcast
|Artist||Track||Images||Approx. start time|
|Jonathan Crary, author, "Scorched Earth: Beyond the Digital Age to a Post-Capitalist World"|
|Tomaš Dvořák||Game Boy Tune|
|Interview with Jonathan Crary||0:04:58 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Mark's comments||0:40:37 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Ekoplekz||Surveillance System||0:54:59 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|