|View Mark Hurst's profile|
Conversations with creators and thinkers who are charting the way forward in a tech-saturated society. Tech, community, video games, and whatever else is next.
Today: Ethan Gutmann on digital spycraft in human rights work in China
• The Slaughter: Mass Killings, Organ Harvesting, and China's Secret Solution to Its Dissident Problem by Ethan Gutmann - find it on Indiebound
• UN human rights experts alarmed by ‘organ harvesting’ allegations (UN's Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, June 14, 2021)
• From China Tribunal (March 2020), The Independent Tribunal into Forced Organ Harvesting from Prisoners of Conscience in China.
• Arizona Offers Driver’s Licenses on iPhones. Other States Want to Be Next. (NYT, March 26, 2022): "On Wednesday, Arizona became the first state to offer digital copies of driver’s licenses and state identification cards as part of a sweeping partnership with Apple that was announced last year. The project is expected to expand to Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Ohio, Oklahoma and Utah, as well as the territory of Puerto Rico. The initiative has been promoted by the tech giant and the states for its convenience."
• From the Tech Transparency Project (March 7, 2022): "Five Amazon suppliers have been linked directly or indirectly to forced labor of ethnic minorities in Xinjiang. Some firms have remained on Amazon's public supplier list long after allegations initially surfaced." See also this thread.
• Tesla opened a dealership in Xinjiang, China, despite widespread reports of Uyghur oppression there (CNBC, Jan 4, 2022)
• Voices from the fields of Xinjiang (by Ethan Gutmann, Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation, Feb 22, 2022)
PAST EPISODES: techtonic.fm lists recent Techtonic shows.
PODCAST: Subscribe to the Techtonic podcast
|Artist||Track||Approx. start time|
|Ethan Gutmann on the digital spycraft of human rights work|
|Tomaš Dvořák||Game Boy Tune|
|Interview with Ethan Gutmann||0:09:30 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Mark's comments||0:46:45 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Twilight Archive||Secretly Measured||0:56:00 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|