|View Mark Hurst's profile|
Conversations with creators and thinkers who are charting the way forward in a tech-saturated society. Tech, community, video games, and whatever else is next.
Today: Alec MacGillis, author, "Fulfillment: Winning and Losing in One-Click America"
• Fulfillment: Winning and Losing in One-Click America, by Alec MacGillis (hardcover on Indiebound)... or get the just-released paperback, Fulfillment: America in the Shadow of Amazon (paperback on Indiebound).
• @AlecMacGillis (Twitter)
• The true cost of Amazon’s low prices (by Sara Morrison, Vox, Jan 13, 2022): “Sarah Miller, executive director of the American Economic Liberties Project, an anti-monopoly advocacy group, [says]: ‘Amazon leverages its power in one space to take over a new space, which is core to their business practice. They have the ability to combine the competitive advantages of different aspects of their business to take over new sectors of the economy.’”
• Amazon vs. N.Y.’s small businesses: The little guys need a 21st century antitrust act (Natasha Amott op-ed in N.Y. Daily News, Jan 31, 2022): “When monopolies like Amazon are allowed to dominate single marketplaces so fully, small businesses see the effect in what they can afford to pay their staff; in what rents they can afford to pay to property owners; and in how they fight to stay a part of the American middle class.”
• ‘Warehouses in their backyards’: when Amazon expands, these communities pay the price: (Guardian, Dec 9, 2021): “People of color and low-income residents are disproportionately affected by Amazon’s warehouses, a Consumer Reports investigation found.” (This piece includes the chart showing Amazon warehouse growth, included on the playlist.)
• An Ocean Away, I Found Some Common Sense on Mask Wearing (by Alec MacGillis, guest essay in the NYT, Oct 12, 2021): “The overall effect [of less polarization in German media] is of an environment set at a lower temperature, far closer to normalcy, where the public space is not forever on the verge of flaring into a divisive battleground of signaling, judgments and resistance.”
• Alec MacGillis on Honestly with Bari Weiss, Part 1, and Part 2 of the conversation.
• How I Quit Prime and Survived (by Shira Ovide, NYT, Jan 13, 2022). "Amazon said it was raising the annual price of its Prime shipping club to $139, from $119" (NYT, Feb 3, 2022). See also Mark Hurst's Good Reports: How to cancel your Amazon Prime membership.
• Amazon Breaks Record for One-Day Gain in Market Cap (WSJ, Feb 5, 2022): "Shares surged 14% Friday, their biggest one-day jump in almost seven years. The added $191 billion to Amazon’s market value, eclipsing the record Apple set just last week when it added $181 billion after posting quarterly results that shattered previous records."
• Lawmakers Press Amazon on Sales of Chemical Used in Suicides (NYT, Feb 4, 2022). As Vice's Maxwell Strachan put it:
|Artist||Track||Comments||Images||Approx. start time|
|Alec MacGillis discusses his book "Fulfillment: America in the Shadow of Amazon."|
|Tomaš Dvořák||Game Boy Tune|
|Interview with Alec MacGillis||0:04:25 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Mark's comments||0:39:22 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Mark Pritchard||One Way Mirror||https://markpritchard.bandcamp.com/track/one-way-mirror||0:54:48 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|