|View Mark Hurst's profile|
Conversations with creators and thinkers who are charting the way forward in a tech-saturated society. Tech, community, video games, and whatever else is next.
Tonight: Ben Tarnoff and Moira Weigel, editors, "Voices from the Valley: Tech Workers Talk About What They Do--and How They Do It"
• Voices from the Valley: Tech Workers Talk About What They Do--and How They Do It, edited by Ben Tarnoff and Moira Weigel
• Logic Magazine, co-founded by Ben and Moira
• On Twitter: @BenTarnoff and @MoiraGWeigel
• FSG Originals × Logic: book series including What Tech Calls Thinking by Adrian Daub, Subprime Attention Crisis by Tim Hwang, and Blockchain Chicken Farm by Xiaowei Wang - as well as Ben and Moira's Voices from the Valley.
• When Computers Were Women (by Jennifer Light in Technology and Culture, July 1999)
• Programmed Inequality by Mar Hicks
• Clive Thompson on the April 25, 2019 Techtonic
• Ben and Moira also mention Vivian Gornick and Studs Terkel as inspirations.
• Amazon's Ring has recalled 350,000 smart doorbells in the US after some of them caught fire (Business Insider, Nov 11): "Amazon-owned Ring is recalling 350,000 smart doorbells in the US after reports of some of them catching fire, giving eight people minor burns."
• The Hot New Covid Tech Is Wearable and Constantly Tracks You (by Natasha Singer, NYT, Nov 15, 2020): "Many employers and colleges have adopted virus screening tools like symptom-checking apps and temperature-scanning cameras. But they are not designed to catch the estimated 40 percent of people with Covid-19 infections who may never develop symptoms like fevers."
|Artist||Track||Album||Images||Approx. start time|
|Ben Tarnoff and Moira Weigel discuss their new book "Voices from the Valley."|
|Tomaš Dvořák||Game Boy Tune||Machinarium Soundtrack|
|Interview with Ben Tarnoff and Moira Weigel||0:05:56 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Garth Brooks and Huey Lewis||Workin' for a Livin'||0:56:15 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|