|View Mark Hurst's profile|
Conversations with creators and thinkers who are charting the way forward in a tech-saturated society. Tech, community, video games, and whatever else is next.
Today: Our AI-generated future
AI engines like ChatGPT, DALL-E, and Midjourney promise to generate text, images, and music at the click of the button. Mark Hurst has some sample output to share – along with his opinions.
• What’s the deal with this AI Seinfeld stream? (The Verge, Feb 1, 2023)
• AI-Generated Seinfeld-Like Twitch ‘TV Show’ Is Peak Absurdity (Kotaku, Feb 1, 2023): “co-creator Skyler Hartle said he and his co-creator Brian Habersberger have been working on the ‘passion project’ part-time for the past four years with a team of between three to seven people. With all of the AI tools at their disposal, including [Microsoft-owned] Azure Cognitive Services for voice generation, Hartle thinks the team can ‘spin up new shows or formats.’”
• Nothing Forever (AI-generated Seinfeldian shorts on Amazon-owned Twitch)
• You’ll Soon Be Able to Talk to Your Dead Mom In the Metaverse Thanks to ChatGPT: “Somnium Space’s Artur Sychov said a user has started to integrate OpenAI’s chatbot into his metaverse, creating a virtual assistant that offers a faster pathway for the development of ‘Live Forever’ mode, Sychov’s project to allow people to store the way they talk, move, and sound until after they die, when they can come back from the dead as an online avatar to speak with their relatives.”
• From Google: MusicLM: Generating Music From Text. MusicLM [is] a model generating high-fidelity music from text descriptions such as “a calming violin melody backed by a distorted guitar riff”.
--> “Slow tempo, bass-and-drums-led reggae song. Sustained electric guitar. High-pitched bongos with ringing tones. Vocals are relaxed with a laid-back feel, very expressive.”
--> “This is an r&b/hip-hop music piece. There is a male vocal rapping and a female vocal singing in a rap-like manner. The beat is comprised of a piano playing the chords of the tune with an electronic drum backing. The atmosphere of the piece is playful and energetic. This piece could be used in the soundtrack of a high school drama movie/TV show. It could also be played at birthday parties or beach parties.”
• Soundraw, promising royalty-free AI-generated music. For example, this tune: "Romantic, Sentimental, Sexy, Smooth, 100 BPM."
• Recent PBS special on AI: Part 1, Part 2
Past Techtonic episodes on AI music
• June 1, 2020 Techtonic: Ryan Walsh, discussing the OpenAI Jukebox
• Oct 8, 2018 Techtonic: AI-inspired music with Jamie Brew, Botnik cofounder, including...
-> I Have to Get My Car: using a smartphone’s predictive text to write a pop hit
-> Bored With This Desire To Get Ripped: “The lyrics to this song were written using a predictive keyboard trained on half Morrissey lyrics, half Amazon customer reviews of the P90X home workout DVD system.”
-> Soviet Nights: “We combined the Beach Boys with Ronald Reagan speeches to create the greatest Cold War pop song.”
Sign up to get Mark's weekly email newsletter. You can also join Mark’s Creative Good community.
PAST EPISODES: techtonic.fm lists recent Techtonic shows.
PODCAST: Subscribe to the Techtonic podcast
|Artist||Track||Album||Label||Images||Approx. start time|
|Our AI-generated future: Mark Hurst on AI-extruded text and music|
|Tomaš Dvořák||Game Boy Tune||Machinarium Soundtrack||n/a|
|Mark on AI generators||0:03:22 (MP3 | Pop-up)|
|Nothing Forever||n/a||0:54:14 (MP3 | Pop-up)|