|View Mark Hurst's profile|
Conversations with creators and thinkers who are charting the way forward in a tech-saturated society. Tech, community, video games, and whatever else is next.
Today: Sarah Lamdan, author, “Data Cartels”
Sarah Lamdan, is Professor of Law at the City University of New York School of Law and author of “Data Cartels: The Companies That Control and Monopolize Our Information.” LexisNexis and Westlaw used to be known as publishers of academic and legal information. But a few years ago they changed: now they rely on surveillance and analysis, profiting from information that should be publicly available - or not collected in the first place.
• Data Cartels, published by Stanford University Press
• Erinn Acland (Jan 13, 2023): “Starting 2023, four universities are pausing or ending their Elsevier subscription due to exorbitant pricing.
- Elsevier’s subscription was costing them ~10% of their Libraries’ entire budget.
- ‘Elsevier’s prices have increased each year and have outpaced inflation’...this is despite Elsevier having the highest profit margins of virtually any other industry or publisher.”
• Welcome to Hotel Elsevier: you can check-out any time you like … not (by Eiko Fried, May 9, 2022): “One way to make profits is Elsevier’s business as an academic publisher. . . . But in the 2020s—and now we come to the main topic of this piece—there is a second way of making money: selling data. Elsevier’s parent company RELX bills itself as ‘a global provider of information-based analytics and decision tools for professional and business customers.’”
• Comments on YCombinator about the above story.
• Mastodon post (Jan 9, 2023): "Last week, the Social Security Administration made moves to help Login.gov stop relying on data brokers."
Sign up to get Mark's weekly email newsletter. You can also join Mark’s Creative Good community.
PAST EPISODES: techtonic.fm lists recent Techtonic shows.
PODCAST: Subscribe to the Techtonic podcast
|Artist||Track||Images||Approx. start time|
|Sarah Lamdan, author, "Data Cartels: The Companies That Control and Monopolize Our Information"|
|Tomaš Dvořák||Game Boy Tune|
|Interview with Sarah Lamdan||0:06:42 (MP3 | Pop-up)|
|Mark's comments||0:45:49 (MP3 | Pop-up)|
|Peter Fox||Zukunft Pink||0:54:18 (MP3 | Pop-up)|