|View Mark Hurst's profile|
Conversations with creators and thinkers who are charting the way forward in a tech-saturated society. Tech, community, video games, and whatever else is next.
Today: Five years of Techtonic: Celebrating the five-year anniversary of Techtonic with emails and audio messages from listeners. The books, the interviews, the rants, and the surveillance. (So much surveillance.) Let’s toast Techtonic’s first half-decade.
• Nov 4, 2019: NYC Mesh organizers Scott Rasmussen and Jillian Murphy
• June 15, 2020: Jason Fried, cofounder of Basecamp, on launching Hey.com
• June 24, 2019: Scott Urban, creator of Reflectacles, “privacy eyewear.” Thanks to Alex in Brooklyn for suggesting this and the two shows above.
• June 22, 2020: The eBay story. Thanks to listener P, who writes: “I get surveillance capitalism (and hate it, especially the LinkNYC which we cannot escape), but they took it to a whole ’nother level with the stalking!”
• September 20, 2021: Ten Reasons to Smash Your Smartphone. Thanks to listener Catherine.
• August 22, 2022: Molly Osberg and New York's new Link5G surveillance towers. Thanks to listener Steve, who writes: “It’s eye opening and it also seems sad, but I’m glad you continue to be a ‘watchman on the wall’ for things like this.”
• May 30, 2022: Jeff Deutsch, author, “In Praise of Good Bookstores.” Thanks to listener herb.nyc, who says: “May more Seminary Co-op Bookstores bloom.”
--> Thanks also to listener Cris for maintaining the Techtonic Reading List, linked from the techtonic.fm one-page site.
• October 23, 2017: Roger Anderson, founder of Jolly Roger Telephone Co. Thanks to DJ Paradox.
• Finally, for our special song: Thanks to Greg Harrison, Lily Wen, Matt Fiveash, and especially Scott Williams!
Sign up to get Mark's weekly email newsletter. You can also join Mark’s Creative Good community.
PAST EPISODES: techtonic.fm lists recent Techtonic shows.
PODCAST: Subscribe to the Techtonic podcast
|Artist||Track||Images||Approx. start time|
|Celebrating the five-year anniversary of Techtonic with emails and audio messages from listeners.|
|Tomaš Dvořák||Game Boy Tune|
|Si-mark & Scott-funkel||The Sounds of Surveillance||0:34:34 (MP3 | Pop-up)|