|View Mark Hurst's profile|
Conversations with creators and thinkers who are charting the way forward in a tech-saturated society. Tech, community, video games, and whatever else is next.
Tonight: Vaccine apps - with Albert Fox Cahn
Thanks to David in London for the infographic showing last week's comment-board movie picks! Links:
• @FoxCahn (Twitter)
• Albert's bio
• Surveillance Technology Oversight Project (STOP)
• STOP's Big Bad Tech initiative
• STOP's The Good, the Bad, and the Invasive report on vaccine apps: "Domestic vaccine apps, such as New York’s Excelsior Pass, raise numerous surveillance and equity concerns. These apps facilitate invasive geolocation tracking and threaten a new form of segregation". . .
• I Forged New York’s Digital Vaccine Passport in 11 Minutes Flat (by Albert Fox Cahn in the Daily Beast, June 3, 2021): "Going through the process, it felt like New York had built a massive, digital bank vault, but set the combination to '1-2-3-4.'"
• Privacy and efficacy concerns remain for New York's vaccine passport apps (by Cyrus Farivar in NBC News, Aug 5, 2021): "Cahn demonstrated this week that the city’s smartphone app, known as NYC Covid Safe, will accept literally any picture as proof of having had a vaccine shot by showing that it accepted a photograph of Mickey Mouse as a vaccination card."
• Pfizer and Moderna Mock Biden, Raise Vaccine Prices (by Matt Stoller, Aug 6, 2021): "Earlier this week, Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna, who make vaccines that are effective against the Delta variant of Covid, raised prices on their vaccines. According to the FT, the European Union must now pay an extra 25% than it did for the Pfizer vaccine, and 10% more for Moderna’s. The extra revenue is purely a result of market power, not higher costs. Pfizer has already raised estimates to investors, telling them it will generate $33 billion this year selling the vaccine."
• Four Ways to Prove You’re Vaccinated (West Side Rag, Aug 5, 2021)
• Albert's first appearance on Techtonic, with Liz O'Sullivan: the March 23, 2020 episode
Sign up to get Mark's weekly email newsletter. You can also join Mark's Creative Good community.
PAST EPISODES: techtonic.fm lists recent Techtonic shows
PODCAST: Subscribe to the Techtonic podcast
|Artist||Track||Album||Label||Images||Approx. start time|
|Albert Fox Cahn discusses vaccine apps - and Apple's recent announcement about scanning private iPhone photos.|
|Tomaš Dvořák||Game Boy Tune||Machinarium Soundtrack||Tomaš Dvořák|
|Interview with Albert Fox Cahn||0:06:52 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Mark's comments||0:37:19 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|A Frames||Surveillance||S/T||Born Bad Records||0:55:02 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|